Spring time is one of the best times in Florida to get outdoors and workout. The temperature is just right during the day to get a nice workout in without overdoing yourself. Get outdoors now before summer comes and it is too hot to do anything outdoors.
Here are some tips to make your outdoor workout effective and safe:
- If you are doing a short workout, plain water is fine. But if you are doing an extended workout, be sure to to bring a sports drink, such as a Gatorade to replenish your electrolytes.
- If you are planning a heavy workout in the morning, eat a lot of complex carbohydrates the night before, they will turn to glycogen, which will help your body retain moisture.
- Think clothes keep sun off of you? Think again. Polyester fabrics will provide you with more protection than cotton, but it is still best to apply the sunscreen. They even make sunscreen-treated fabrics for you to purchase.
- Speaking of sun care, be sure to also wear a hat while you’re exercising outdoors. The top of your head is one of the top spots for skin cancer to form.
- Protect your eyes from harmful UV by purchasing quality sunglasses, especially here in Florida.
- Get acclimated to working out outside. Take your time beginning with small workouts and progressively getting more and more intense. Your body may be used to working inside a gym vs. working out outdoors in the heat. Take your time and drink lots of water.
- Be sure you are wearing proper shoes for the type of terrain you are running on. Are you used to running on the sidewalk and roads? If you switch to trails and dirt paths, a new pair of running shoes may be in order to provide the best comfort while running.
- Pay attention to pollution. If you are running outdoors, pay attention to pollution reports and avoid high areas of traffic and pollution.
- If you have allergies, pay attention to areas with high pollen. Pollen is usually at its highest in the morning, so plan on running after 10 AM.
- The bottom line, take your time and have fun. Working out outdoors can be fun when done properly with the right care.
via Mens Fitness